Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 12, 2012

Math Facts from Crazy Mom Quilts!!!!!!!!!


Although I am sure this is the most obvious introduction I'll ever write...we are thrilled to be featuring Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts today!!!!!!  We, like many of you I'm sure, have admired her for so long!!!  She may be a crazy mom but she's also crazy nice and crazy talented ;)  She recently finished an amazing project, HER BOOK!  I for one cannot wait to get my hands on it.  Among my favorite projects of hers is her round and round quilt-a-long which is on my oh-so-long to-do list :)  Also make sure to stop by her shop to get some goodies!  On to the story:
The inspiration for this quilt came to me while I was watching an old episode of Oliver’s Twist on Netflix. There was a throw over the couch that was brilliant, simple and fun. It was full of white plus blocks on an orange background. (You can see it here....isn't it FAB?) I knew immediately that I was going to make something like it. I have no idea who made the original quilt/rug/throw (???) but I was smitten. I wanted to add a twist to my version, so I sketched a bit and I decided to add an x block in place of every other plus block. That changed it just enough to make it "mine", while still retaining the simple and fun feel of the original. I used various background fabrics, but I chose to keep them very close in value and color. I started with oranges from my stash but had to actually supplement by buying fabric. Oh, darn! ;)
I absolutely LOVE the results!!! I know I say that a lot, but this one, oh boy! I want to make at least three more versions of it. It would look good in lime green and white as a baby quilt. It would look fun scrappy! It would look good with one single orange background. And...well, you get the idea!
I pieced the back using 3 different 1/4 yard cuts of orange and plenty of cream fabric. I really like the way it turned out.
I LOVE the scissor fabric! It's Half Moon Modern, by Momo for Moda. I think that it's funny that they are "fiskars orange". That's not the official name, of course, but that's what they remind me of. 
For the quilting....I started stippling it, but it looked horrible. I ripped out the stitching and switched gears. I decided to echo quilt around each x and + with my walking foot. That worked SO much better. I had to turn the whole quilt in my machine at every corner, but it was so worth it. At that point, I was so glad I hadn't made the quilt any bigger!
For the binding I used these fabulous dots...Mingle in Tangerine by Robert Kaufman. Mmmm. When I saw them I knew they were going to be perfect to finish off this quilt. They make me smile.

My youngest son came up with the name for this quilt. He saw the sketch I had done and said "that looks like math facts". I loved it, so the name stuck.

The quilt measures approximately 60" x 76". I wrote up a pattern for this one, which is available for sale in my shop.
Photobucket

2 comments:

beaquilter said...

this is adorable.... now what's the result. 1 +2 x 3+4 ???? I love watching Jamie Oliver and what a cool quilt, I was thinking it was the swiss flag.
love the clever backing too !

Lynne said...

I love it - a design with lots of potential but stunning in its current simplicity.