Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Svetlana of s.o.t.a.k. handmade's HST Quilt

Happy Wednesday everyone!  Today we've got a feature from Svetlana of s.o.t.a.k. handmade and I love it!  Two of my favorites, half-square triangles and the colors blue and green!  Svetlana has a really unique and original style, check out her quilt finishes and her tutorials...love this lunch tote.  Make sure to see her at s.o.t.a.k. handmade after you read about her finish!  And tomorrow Heather has a super cute Valentine's tutorial, make sure to stop by!


I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. We had a lot of fun, the weather was gorgeous, not a small thing for Chicago, so we got to spend lots of time outdoors with our kids.

Not only that, I also got a lot of sewing done and managed to GET MY HST QUILT FINISHED!!!! It feels wonderful to be able to say that. I have no idea why I was in such a rush to finish this quilt (since it has no specific purpose or recipient), I just HAD TO get it done. And I absolutely love how it turned out. 


This is what the quilt top looks like after being sandwiched, quilted, bound, washed, and finally dried. It is a pretty big quilt, 70 x 72 inches. I had my girls stand on chairs and hold it for me so I could take a picture - I think they did a pretty good job considering that the whole time they complained about their arms hurting. 


In my last post I was debating about what to do for the back, not wanting to make it just one plain color. I came up with this:

It almost looks like a skyline, doesn't it? No, it wasn't really a plan, the whole quilt back looked very different in my head when I started. I love that by cutting the fabric, sewing it together and arranging and rearranging pieces, adding more here, snipping away there, I ended up with my own unique design for the back.

I decided to go quite simple for quilting, I did horizontal and vertical straight lines (I'm going to try some more advanced quilting on a smaller quilt).

I made binding using one of Denyse Schmidt's fabrics available at JoAnn's. I think it frames the whole quilt rather nicely.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out. And not only is it great for snuggling, it's also perfect for playing peek-a-boo with our cat who thoroughly enjoys my love of fabric.

It is the first quilt I designed from scratch all by myself and I enjoyed the whole process of making it a lot. But next time I will use my Go!cutter to get my triangles cut and thus eliminate all the crazy need for trimming. Yes, trimming was definitely the least enjoyable part for me.
Well, that's it from me for today, as I have piles of laundry and tons of housework that needs to be done.

Have a wonderful day.

Svetlana

Photobucket

12 comments:

Lynne said...

It's lovely! What a subtle colour combination!

beaquilter said...

love how that turned out AND the backing, I'm often not that creative for backings, by then I just need them done!

Sue Daurio said...

I love HST quilts and yours is a beauty! Such delicate colors. And the back is amazing! I love a pieced back and that one is spectacular.

Leslie said...

this is such a beautiful quilt!

Debbie said...

Great to hear more about this lovely quilt!

Suburban Stitcher said...

Love the quilt!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Svetlana has such great style. I seem to love everything she makes!

Go-Go Kim said...

Beautiful!!!!! I love the blue/green combo!!! Makes me think of the beach :o)

QuiltNut Creations said...

Absolutely fabulous! And I love how you did the backing.

KarenD said...

I love the quilt!

the girlfriend gap said...

it's beautiful! love it all front and back! janita

make.share.give said...

So pretty! Love the calm colors and the city back- very nice work.