Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Another Amazing Mini from Cut to Pieces

We featured Angela from Cut to Pieces last week...and if you haven't been by her blog yet...WHY!!?  She is sooo talented and inspirational!!  I just love her creative talent, she is unique and amazing!  She made this quilt for a swap (I need to join that swap now!) and also entered it into a fun modern mini quilt challenge at Ellison Lane Quilts.


I'm finished with my most recent mini that I've decided should be entitled "Dream a Little Dream". It all started with an inspirational sketch and post by designer Sarah Jane. This mini is part of a swap over at flickr and my partner doesn't know this is for her yet. So I can't tell you a heck of a lot about her. But I will say that I identified with my partner (and also Sarah Jane) on the need to de-stress this year. Life gets in the way quickly and it is easy to become overwhelmed by our own particular circumstances. So I thought my partner would appreciate the simplicity yet emotional nature of this quilt. And so Dream a Little Dream was begun.

Dream a Little Dream - Complete

The girl in my mini is completely inspired by Sarah Jane's illustration...but I'm quite pleased with how she turned into fabric and thread. I did this all with raw edge applique, a steady hand, and a lot of thread changes.

Dream a Little Dream - Dreamer

Her dreams are made up of all things lovely, sweet, and fantastic. Which just so happens to coincide with my love for Heather Ross fabrics. There's definitely a reason I'm drawn to her designs. You will see that they appear often. And don't mind me when I start waxing poetic and pulling out my love of Disney when I say " A Dream is a wish your Heart makes".

Dream a Little Dream - heart


I also did a little stamping on this quilt. My very first time stamping on fabric! I did just a subtle (read: I didn't want to mess up) stamping along the quilt with the title. The free motion quilting is also supposed to be dream like... flowing, relaxing, and wavy.


Dream a Little Dream

The details are big in this mini, but I think the overall effect is Simplicity. I worked to keep things a little less overworked and I hope that it "works". 

Dream a Little Dream - Detail

So, dear partner, I hope that you love this mini as much as I do. She's been peaceful and joyful for me...just what I think you will enjoy about her. I've loved having her finished for a while and getting to her enjoy her on my design wall. I don't always get to spend much time with the items I make for a swap and I feel lucky to have had her for a bit.

Photobucket

13 comments:

Kathy MacKie said...

That is just awe inspiring! Thanks for the great idea.

Kristi said...

This is just amazing. I don't know how you do it but I wish I did. Would love to be able to create works of art such as this to share with everyone!

Lynne said...

Very cute indeed!

Rachel said...

Truly stunning. Love the simplicity and the details. LOVE it!! You have a very lucky partner!!

Sara said...

sweetly done up!! All the thread details are fantastic!

Cherie said...

So cute. Love the quilting pattern, it really adds to the finish. =D

Angela said...

You gals are super sweet! I'm totally blushing!

Rosa said...

It`s very nice!

Regina Diniz Outeiro said...

Oh, it´s amazing!!!

Danny Heyen said...

This is SO cute! I LOVE this. I've seen it popping up all over the interwebs.

QuiltingCyclist said...

You are an inspiration and a wonderful artist. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Completely adorable! I love the words you added to it, too.

karen said...

sew lovely - simply sweet - you've created a masterpiece