Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

There is no denying we like Kate from Swim, Bike, Quilt.  She turns out cute thing after cute thing, always a treat to see what she's up to!  And to top it off she's all nice and charitable..what the heck?!! :)  She hosts 100 Quilt for Kids not only encouraging quilters to donate quilts to needy kids but organizing a slew of prizes if you do!  Make sure to see her blog and her projects from this year...you won't be disappointed!

cxcxxxcxLittle Apples on a park benchHmm... What kind of quilt do you make for one of your favorite people in the whole world, who is having baby number four, but her first girl; who doesn't particularly like pink or purple but lets you decide on the colors, and is due in the fall? Enter the lovely Little Apples fabric by Aneela Hoey.  I bought a fat quarter set at Sample Spree last May, swapped some of it, and saved the rest for something special. I just wasn't sure what. [I'm guessing I'm not the only one who does that...]

A few months ago, when myquilting buddy Tricia and I started brainstorming on a quilt for D's baby girl, this just jumped out at us.  It was a team effort--she picked the pattern, I cut the squares and started sewing all of those lovely half square triangles. She pieced the top and sandwiched it, I quilted it and bound (half of) it. Buried way too many threads, went to the Sewing Summit, came home, finished burying knots, put it in the mail, took forever to get there, and voila! The quilt actually made it to Colorado before the baby... if I had been smart I would have taken it with me to the Sewing Summit, since I had a three hour layover in Denver and D was kind of enough to meet up with us and hang out! I kicked myself when I realized I had left it at home.  We hope baby girl comes soon!!!


[The pattern is the Mosaic Block from Lee @ Freshly Pieced, part of the Summer Sampler Series. We started with five inch blocks, and  loved the secondary pinwheels the block creates.  The border is one of the prints from Sherbet Pips, and the quilt matches the laundry bag I made and bedskirt Tricia made. Sneaky, no?  The back is a little bit wacky, I just couldn't be predictable for some reason that night. I decided I HAD to get some pink in there, and this print from Joel Dewberry's Heirloom fit really well, or so I like to think. ] 


Little Apples + Heirloom


Little Apples Binding

I love charcoal binding. It's one of my favorites!
Little Apples Quilting


Little Apples for Baby D

Photobucket

6 comments:

pcflamingo said...

Too cute! Love that block pattern, and I think grey is my new favorite neutral.

Jenn at The Little Shop of Stitches said...

Did you hand quilt it? Machine? If so, what kind of machine did you use?

QuiltNut Creations said...

so pretty! congrats on finishing it before baby!

**nicke... said...

i love that red border. i think that is my favorite print from her line.

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Hi Ladies! Thanks so much for your kind words. I tried to leave a comment last week, but it didn't work. I'm happy to say that Miss Aneela Hoey herself liked the quilt, so that made me happy. And so does the new baby. Or at least her mama! Happy sewing.

yanmaneee said...

moncler jackets
golden goose sneakers
curry 6 shoes
golden goose outlet
jordan 13
stephen curry shoes
lebron shoes
golden goose sneakers
kobe basketball shoes
yeezy 500