Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Quilt for Kelly

One of my best friend's mom, Kelly, was recently diagnosed with cancer.  At the end of July she was diagnosed with duodenal cancer which is very rare and serious.  Chemotherapy didn't offer her very optimistic chances, after doing research and help from family and friends she's decided to pursue a promising alternative treatment.  However, this treatment requires $25,000 upfront.  Her loving family has thrown her a fundraiser where she lives and they're throwing another this weekend  in North Salt Lake City, Utah.  (You can see more about her story HERE.)

I have felt so bad for my friend Ashlie.  She is one of my favorite people ever, and it's really hard to see your friend go through something like this.  Ashlie is the oldest in her family and she's only 27!!!!  She needs her mommy for many years to come.

I was really excited when I found out there would be a silent auction at her mom's fundraisers, and a real way I could help.  This quilt is in honor of Kelly:


I settled pretty quickly on the design.  Simple but more interest than just squares.  Bigger than I originally planned, it's a good size at 51" x 78".  I went back and forth about colors. I wanted to appeal to the broadest crowd.  I ultimately went for a bright and cheery fall palette.  I started with my Robert Kaufman Metro Market prints and began pulling from there.  There's a lot of different collections in this quilt, Going Coastal, Peacock Lane, Sanctuary, Veranda and Michael Miller Solids.


Simple quilting, about 2-3 inches in on each block. Straight-line.



Although I love the back, I hope I didn't make a mistake!  I hope it isn't too modern for some.  I really just love to piece my backs and have a lot of fun tying all the prints together in a non-traditional way.  Looking back I probably should have kept it more simple.  Oh well :/



I threw in a couple more things that could be auctioned off.  One of our Oh Baby! patterns, that is great for beginner sewers.  I included all the necessary fabric as well, again Metro Market and coordinating Groovy fat quarters.


Then a little set of fabric flowers.  You can never go wrong with these right? :)


Here's the whole lot.  Hopefully these can help bring Kelly closer to the treatment she needs.

For those of you who live in Utah you can attend the fundraiser!  
It's Friday October 28th in North Salt Lake.  
There will be dancing, food, costumes and an auction  
If you want more information see HERE.
Photobucket

13 comments:

Lynne said...

I hope the auction goes well and all the donated items are bid for furiously!

Mary Menzer said...

You are a great friend to help their family. I'm sure your quilt and friendship will do wonders for the family.

**nicke... said...

how kind of you to give so much. i am sure they are so grateful for your hard work. i love the back of that quilt btw!

sewhappy said...

Your quilt is just perfect! Don't second guess. It was made with love for a precious friend.
Your kindness will be a blessing to Kelly, and her family, AND there will be three thrilled recipients of your amazing talents and generosity!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Love the quilt and all the fabrics that you used. I bet it will be very popular at the auction!

Erin @ MakeitSew said...

I love the quilt and I'm sure it will be a hot item at the auction!! I wish all the best for your friend's family and I hope Kelly kicks this cancer in the butt!

Unknown said...

Awesome quilt it will be the high bid getter I am sure of that. Good luck to your friend she is in my prayers.

felicity said...

The quilt is gorgeous and a really good size - a generous lap quilt. May it sell for lots of money and raise funds for your friend's mom.

Danny Heyen said...

It's so great that you've chosen to use your skills to help this family! I've participated in many silent auctions before and now I intend to use your example and make quilts and things for them to sell! I never thought of that before!

s@d said...

The quilt is gorgeous Megan. I'm so glad that Ashlie has you as a friend.

Judee said...

You are making a great contribution to your friend's fundraiser. let us know what they go for, OK?

Dawn said...

My heart goes out to your friend's family. You did great on the quilt. The items you are donating should go a very long way to helping raise the funds needed.

Ashlie Dalton said...

everything you sent was awesome megan! i'm glad you are my friend too. THANK YOU DILLARDS! ;)
thanks to all megans quilt admirers. you are all very kind.