Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 7, 2011

Absolutely a little girls quilt


We've got a really sweet and gorgeous quilt to share today from Kerry of verykerryberry.  She made this oh so darling quilt for her sweet little girl, and although she and the quilt have had some ups and downs I've only had a love love LOVE relationship with it!  Make sure to see her at verykerryberry for inspirational projects, as well as some great tutorials!
Love hate love hate love love love   
 - is how my relationship with this quilt has been-finally finished, hurrah!  And I admit to being very pleased with it, although not as pleased as Lula is which the best thing as it is for her.  She refused to let me drape it artfully over a snowy fence, that can wait for another time, so bedroom pics for the moment.  
The germ of this quilt started last year when Manda McGregory included a little Urban Chiks Swell Moda charm pack baby quilt in an early edition of Sewhip, and I bought the charm packs and a jelly roll from USA after searching for them feverishly online.  I mixed with a little Cath Kidston, Katie Jump Rope, Old Laura Ashley fabrics (the Cath Kidston figure of  1970s and 1980s), vintage prints and the placement of large applique motifs inspired by this quilt (Material Obsession)
Lula chose her favourite themes- ice cream, cup cake etc and I made these the feature blocks.  She helped me layout the charm squares to avoid repetition.  The quilt was made in six sections, each is quilted and then joined to the next section with narrow strips- quilt-as-you-go style.  This Happy Zombie tutorial shows the technique but I machined instead of hand sewing when finishing the back strips.  The binding- attaching this was driving me nuts this morning, it took forever- is pieced red and pink strips from the jelly roll.  I useRita- Red Pepper Quilts machine binding method but I start attaching on the back and so my final line of stitching on the front.
You can see her pillow case and a bit of wall paper- both Cath Kidston, that the same print is repeated in the quilt here and there.
Each time I embark on a quilt I forget how long it takes me to finish one, I refilled the bobbin four times this morning.
Quick view of the back- not too exciting, all old Laura Ashley prints, the largest part form an enormous circular table cloth I picked up at the boot sale.  
A little stamped label.  I asked if she would prefer 'Mum' or 'Mummy'- you can see her choice x
 I made 4 quilts this year, it seems paltry compared to some amazing mosaics I've seen recently but I made a whole load of smaller stuff and each quilt is a labour of love and a labour of plain old hard work.
I love making clothes and small stuff but the quilting is intensely rewarding, especially when finished!   My next biggish project- a baby quilt for a friend- baby due Feb.

Photobucket

15 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW this is wonderful. I have completed only one small quilt / throw, my first, and hope to produce some this year. This is a wonderful quilt. Kx

Kristie said...

This is stunning! I love it, great job!

the gathering girls said...

Your quilts are terrific! They are very inspiring!!

Charity said...

I can see why your little one would be in love, it's adorable. I especially like the tea cup or maybe the icecream cone.
I'm sure she'll love this forever. I still have fond memories of my seasame street quilt from my childhood. I drew my name and smily face on it. Grandma was mad. But I have loved it for many years.

Christie describeHappy said...

I remember seeing this on VeryKerryBerry when you first posted about it and instantly feel in love! If it ever needs a adpoted home I'd be game... you daughter is a lucky lucky gal to have a mom like you! Can't wait to see how your baby quilt comes along!

Candace said...

An absolutely gorgeous quilt!

Sylvia said...

That is a gorgeous quilt!

Kate said...

This quilt is really, really beautiful! I'm totally inspired to make one for my daughter's big girl bed!

verykerryberry said...

Thankyou for all your kind words! So encouraging. I will do the next quilt- a baby quilt for a friend as a quilt-along, it will be based on wonky stars and be pretty easy I think! Hope to get it kicked off next week x Come and visit me and let me know if you are interested or if I am doing it alone whilst you watch!

verykerryberry said...

Thankyou for all your kind words! So encouraging. I will do the next quilt- a baby quilt for a friend as a quilt-along, it will be based on wonky stars and be pretty easy I think! Hope to get it kicked off next week x Come and visit me and let me know if you are interested or if I am doing it alone whilst you watch!

verykerryberry said...

Thankyou for all your kind words! So encouraging. I will do the next quilt- a baby quilt for a friend as a quilt-along on my blog, it will be based on wonky stars and be pretty easy I think! Hope to get it kicked off next week x Come and visit me and let me know if you are interested or if I am doing it alone whilst you watch!

Allison said...

Hi, girls!! Imagine my surprise when I came across your blog! So fun! Quilting is my new obsession. Love your blog!
Allison (Platt) Lacey

Angie @ CraftedAngles said...

Very fun quilt! Perfect for a daughter :)

Annie said...

Hey! I am getting a new sewing machine for my birthday. I am wondering what machines other quilters use and love. Thoughts?
annie@thepurcell.com

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

I'm a new follower to your blog. It's awesome!

That quilt is just gorgeous...I can't believe how cute it is!