Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 11, 2010

SewSara's Polka Dot Quilt

Happy Monday!  Today we're featuring one of my favorite crafters, Sara from SewSara.  We featured her once before here on a beautiful quilt she made with her grandmother's vintage sheet as backing.  I will let this crazy cheerful I'm in love with quilt speak for itself, but make sure to head over to her blog.  She makes so many projects crazy fast, and then sometimes she throws those darling projects in her Etsy shop.  Here's Sara:

Hello all you Quilt Story lovers! Isn't this blog the best? I always get excited when I see a new post pop up in my google reader. I'm not sure when my love for polka dots started, but I'm pretty sure it got worse (better?) when my daughter Ruby was born.  Do you realize how many cute polka dot things are out there for little girls?!
Her 1st birthday party was a polka dot party, complete with polka dot tshirts for all the guests. (those were some of my very first appliques!)
(And now she's four!)
But anyway ... back to the quilt! Of course that's why you're here. I was inspired by Allison's January quilt and knew I wanted to make one for myself. But I didn't exactly know what colors I wanted. I started looking through my stash and realized the main common denominator was polka dots!
So that's really all the story behind this quilt... I gathered all my polka dot fabric and started cutting. I'll admit, I did buy a few extra to add to the quilt, but most of this was from my stash.
I believe there are at least 51 different fabrics in this quilt. If you care to count, maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong! :)
I always have a hard time getting just the right angle.

are you glad I went with the multi-colored stripe? I am. The back is a clearance sheet from Target (I know  all love Target). Which means I still have the fitted sheet to use for another quilt. (yay!)

If you'd like to read more about this quilt and all my other projects, please stop by my blog sometime! Oh -- and -- I'm trying to decide what to name this quilt. I haven't ever named my quilts before but I feel like this one needs a name. Any suggestions? Comment here with your idea!   (If I choose your suggestion, I'll send you a surprise of some sort  -- probably fabric). xo! SewSara

22 comments:

FabricandFlowers said...

Fun quilt. I'll bet we can all find polka dots in our stash.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

What a cute idea! I know I'm drawn to polka dots too, so that was an awesome idea to use them all together! Unfortunately, I am awful at naming quilts, but I'll take a stab at it - how about Dainty Dots?

Anonymous said...

I love this. What a cute idea. I think I would call it "Connect the Dots"

Leslie said...

i love Sara's blog!! this polka dot quilt is amazing. so fun

Anonymous said...

Great quilt, and I love the very first picture of your daughter in the pink polka dot dress with the striped legwarmers.

As for a quilt name, how about "Completely Dotty" (dotty being slang for crazy)?

EllensCreativePassage said...

Beautiful quilt!!

Sequana said...

"Dot's all, folks"..*S* If you wanted you could add the stuttering..." D D D Dot's all, folks."

I just LOVE that quilt! And yes, the binding is perfect.

Quiet Quilter said...

I will accept your count of 51 for the number of fabrics.

You hit 100% on this one!

Lovely and just right for a 4 year old.

janae king said...

I love quilts and yours is one of my all time favorites! Good job!

Jocelyn said...

Polka Perfect!

You know I love your work and you, too!

Char said...

Love the quilt! What about " Dot's Crazy!"

onlymehere said...

When I saw the closeup of the binding I loved the quilt even more! I originally thought it was just stripes which was cute but then I saw the polka dots on the stripe and it made me smile! The only think I can think of for naming this quilt is polka party! I love how bright and cheery it is. The pinwheels make me smile too!
Cindy

Bellgirl said...

Very lovely! The name that spring to mind was "Well Spotted", but I like the suggestion Polka Dot Party too!

Bellgirl said...

BTW I love the binding!

SewSara said...

thanks for all the comments .... keep the name ideas coming!

Sarah Craig said...

I would name it "Button, Button, Who's Got The Button"! Cute quilt!!

Annelies said...

My choice for a name.....Gone Dottie!!!!

Sew Many Mamas said...

Love polka dots! Cute quilt!

Jennifer said...

So cute! I've never been drawn to polka dots but this quilt has changed my mind!

Jennifer :)

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

I am so stalking this quilt!
It's adorable! I think it should be named Polka Dot Dream

Oh Sew Addicted said...

I think I would call it "I'm seeing Dots!!!"

Very cute quilt. Great job! And I too am a lover of the polka dots!

carla louise
www.ohsewaddicted.com

Sara said...

Very pretty quilt! I think you should call it "Seeing Spots"!